[Zope] ZClasses and default documents, and COM objects.

Phil Harris phil@philh.org
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:30:12 +0100

Hi all,

I'm just starting to look at zClasses again and am having some difficulty in
setting up default documents within the zClass.

Let's say that I create a CD Product and want that CD to have a 'index_html'
so that it can render itself.

Where would I put the document so that it appears as a default and alos is
editable by the user at a later date?

On a similar tack, after creating the Product, what would be the correct
call to create the Product from within an external method?

I've been looking at this on and off for about a month and am getting no
closer.

On the subject of COM, I'm in the final stages of creating a product to
convert Word Documents to HTML on the fly, taking the style sheet built into
the document and creating an HTML4/CSS rendition of it.

I know that there are Word->HTML converters around, but we have an awful lot
of documents that need doing, and don't really want to convert them if
no-ones going to look at them, this way since they get converted on the fly
(and then cached and only reconverted if the original changes), only the
documents that need converting get done.

It's working sort of well for Word at the moment. Once that's done I'm
moving on to Powerpoint then maybe other document types.  I see this as an
exciting way to do some complex stuff (on the cheap).

Imagine being able to create maps from the Excel Map system and then show
them via HTML with hotspots etc., or using Excel to do the Graphing, or even
using it to create pivot table's etc.

If anyone else has an interest in this then let me know.

TIA

Phil
phil@philh.org