[Zope] tag suggestions: format tag

Jay, Dylan djay@lucent.com
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:28:20 +1000

Along the same lines as <!--#var Object fmt="DisplayMethod-->,
I propose the ability to do that at definition time instead of when you call
the document.
Lets say I want a section of Structured text in DTML document I could do the
following

<!--#format StructuredText-->
*Item 1
*Item 2
<!--#/format-->

or if I want to plain text (and not have DTML processed) I could do the
following

<!--#format PlainText-->

<!--#var "This line won't be rendered"-->

<!--#/format-->

Good idea or not?

My rationale is as follows.
1. I want to be able to add documents in various formats. The format is
fixed at creation time. I don't want to have to tell zope how to render
something everytime it is to be rendered. A structured text document is a
structured text document. An alternative way of doing this is to have
another property of a document specifying how it is to rendered.
2. How do I display DTML syntax in a DTML document?