[Zope] URGENT: need very basic help with Zope2 persistence

Joe Grace occam@serv.net
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:55:38 -0700

Tone,

thanks for the pointer.  As it turns out, my problem was much more basic.  To recap, I was following the
document:

    http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/ObjectPublishingIntro

This document covers wonderful stuff (DTML, Persistence, etc.) with perfectly bare bones examples.
Unfortunately, the Persistence section fails to mention that certain code needs to be installed in the Shared
directory (which I'd never heard of as I'm learning Zope) in order to work.  I spent ThFr sleuthing this.
Yesterday, I began to suspect the docs when I installed Zope 1.10.3 just to get the example to run and it still
didn't run.  Creepers.

So then I went in search of other docs and found:

    http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/ExternalMethods

which specifically mentions, "Zope provides a convenient solution for packaging classes which you wish to use
in External Methods. This solution is the 'Shared' package, located in 'lib/python/Shared'."

Once I figured that out, I was able to duplicate the example using Zope2 and a few different headers (i.e., not
hard and kind of anti-climactic after knocking my head against the wall for two days).

I would suggest adding the 'lib/python/Shared' explanation to the ObjectPublishingIntro.  I also think it would
be very worthwhile having several Samples directories in the appropriate places with working examples of the
basic Zope functionality.  The examples from the ObjectPublishingIntro would be great for these directories.
This way, when a newbie does a text search for some Zope keyword of special interest (e.g., Persistence), they
can automatically find useful, simple, working, up-to-date examples.

I now have persistence and am ready to keep building my first Zope project.

Cheers,

= Joe =