[Zope] Bug with new dtml- syntax?

Joe Grace occam@serv.net
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:24:55 -0700

Hi,

I'm using ZopeBeta1, nice install by the way!-)

Two notes (bugs/issues)?

1.  When I use the new syntax

    &dtml-MyVarGoesHere;

but I forget the trailing semicolon, Zope seems to hang.  I note that
there is no other semi-colon following my typoed &dtml-xxx; token.

2.  I love the dtml-xxx; syntax compared to the <!--xxx--> syntax.
However, if I'm not mistaken (sort of jumping in over my head here), the
dtml-xxx; syntax merges the namespace for Zope keywords (e.g., if, else,
with, in, etc.) with that of user variables (e.g., MyVar, MyFolder, and
anything else interesting and possibly user defined, e.g., "if", "else",
"with", "in", etc.).  If I'm not wrong on this point, wouldn't it be
better (and safer) to keep the two namespaces apart?  Perhaps two
syntaxes are needed, e.g.:

    dtml-if, dtml-with, dtml-in, ...
    dtml:MyVar, dtml:MyFolder, dtml:MyIf, dtml:if,
dtml:WhateverGetsCreatedDynamically

to avoid conflicts.

Enjoying the examples by the way.  The DTML for the Embedded folders was
surprisingly interesting with the manipulation (cancellation) of the
headers, etc..  Thanks to whomever for the illustrative and educational
examples.

= Joe =