[Zope] RE: [Zope-dev] Zope and MS Sql Server? - MS has a free SQL 7 serv er implementation now er implementation now

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 05:45:56 +0200

I can not confirm, only add to the rumour, as we have not upgraded to
MSSQL 7.0 ourselves yet, but I believe I can shed some technical light
on the issue.

For MSSQL 7.0, deprecated DB-Library (analoguous to the Sybase
CT-Library) and now recommends using any of OLE DB, ADO, ODBC, or RDO --
approximately in that order of preference -- instead. However, full
backward compatibility with DB-Library and older clients is kept,
meaning you will not need to recompile your old clients to work with
7.0.

From this we may infer that the wire protocol, called TDS, for the MSSQL
6.5 feature set has not changed. You can't use 7.0's new features
through the old DB-Library, but you can still use the whole of the 6.5
feature set.

An interesting part of all this is that Microsoft now considers ODBC a
"legacy" API.

They recommend using OLE DB all the way now, or ADO (which is
essentially a dual-interface COM wrapper around OLE DB) if you're in
scripting land, or chained to Visual Basic, or you just don't like OLE
DB all that much, or if you don't need speed. While OLE DB is not a
particularly pleasant API, it is reasonable thin, and it does support a
much larger variety of data sources, including directory services,
message queing, and (iirc) mail. It currently has drivers for ODBC
(bridge), Oracle, SQL Server, Microsoft Jet, and a driver for simple
file-based persistent storage. It also supports remoting, so your
program can speak through OLE DB with an OLE DB driver on a remote
computer. I'm thinking OLE DB support would be a dandy thing to add to
Zope's feature spec.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"QED?" said Russell.