[Zope] Zope as a mail list server

Jay, Dylan djay@lucent.com
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 09:20:29 +1000

Its seems to me there are two ways to merge. One is to put in a an abstract
framework in place inside zope for managing long running servers and thus
make mailman a service of zope. The ability to have objects run for longer
than just the web request is something that is missing in zope (and has been
explained to me by others as being reasonably essential for a weblication).
Long running processes can accept input from a variaty of sources and
intergrate it into the repository or stream it off to other processes such
as applets in web pages.
The other way is the one I dreamed up last night. You could seperate out the
membership storage code and the archive code in mailman. Then you could
override the these routines to interface instead to a private zope pages.
That way zope could be used to manage the data in the variaty of backends it
supports. I'm going to check the mailman code now to see how hard this is to
do. If its easy then I'll do it now as I'm running out of nice solutions. My
only other solution it seems is to buy listserv as that intergrates with
odbc.