[Zope] Recursive aquisition: good or bad?

Tom Schwaller Tom.Schwaller@linux-magazin.de
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 20:18:30 -0100

Hi all,

during the last 2 weeks I faced a massive
performance problem with Zope because of
a mistake I made setting relative links
instead of absolute ones. I got things like:

/change/change/all/update/search/change

(different menu items clicked one after the other).
Zope caches all this paths (is that correct?),
so after a while Zope was very slow
(many people working with the pages quite a lot,
during a hot production phase, so I got many
different paths. Clearing the cache or restarting
Zope "fixed" the problem)

After that I detected machines calling objects like

/issue1/article1/issue2/article3/news/index_html?newsid=500

although this kind of links do not appear when just surfing around
(looks like search engines doing bad things)

So my question is: Is a link like

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Information/Community/Information/QA

(which works) a feature or a bug of Zope?

/Documentation
/Information
/Community

are all top-level folders. Does it give sense to have
/Information available in /Documentaion and even further
down the hill as the above example shows
(eg. Information in /Documentation/Information/Community)
Kind of transversal aquisition..

The problem is, that nobody can forbid people to call such links,
which is the problem I am facing right now (They just do it!).
At least things like

/Documentation/Documentation/Documentation/Documentation

should not be allowed or did I miss some Zope Zen?

any comments on that?

Tom

--

Tom Schwaller