[Zope] Newbie q: Name.error at startup

Michael Beddow beddow01@globalnet.co.uk
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 20:13:56 +0100

Michael Bernstein wrote:

> Michael Beddow wrote:
> >
> > Trying to get started with Zope, I've compiled
> 2.0.0a1 on RedHat
> > 5.2 with Python 1.5.2. No errors during compile,
> but when I try
> > http://localhost:9673/manage I get (after the
> username/password
> > challenge)
> > <snip>
> > This happens whether I run ZopeHTTPD or ZServer,
> and whether I
> > access localhost or use a browser remotely.
> >
> > Guess I've missed something somewhere. Can anybody give me a
> > hint?
>

> Did you override the default username and password ?
>
> Michael Bernstein

I tried it with the default superuser/123 combination, then with
a variety of
others via the access file. Same result. I'm authenticated OK,
but then I get the error and the backtrace in my original
posting. The server logs show it happening,
first the 401 authentication challenge then the 500 of the
server error.

wks01 - - [08/Jun/1999 19:57:41] "GET /manage HTTP/1.1" 401 -
wks01 - - [08/Jun/1999 19:57:50] "GET /manage HTTP/1.1" 500 -

It's very frustrating reading about the great things Zope can do
and not being able to get off the ground with it. I thought
about getting a binary of 1.x.x instead, but I prefer to have
control of what goes where on my system, so I guess I'll have to
give up for now.

Michael Beddow