[Zope] Newbie:Navigational bar

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 13:08:06 +0200

At 16:46 11-6-99 , Alexander Staubo wrote:
>I read your navbar howto, which is well-written and usable. However,
>personally I think that manually putting URLs in a TinyTable and
>iterating that goes against the grain, or the zen if you will, of Zope
>itself. Say somebody adds a page, removes a page, or changes a title --
>you have to go over the TinyTable manually.

Hell, I just copied the code from Zope.org when I was quickly updating the
ZDP look and feel to mach Zope.org =) I can't help it someone wanted to use
the code for a tutorial =).

I added the TinyTable, Zope.org uses a lines property on the Folder, as I
recall. Both the Zope and the ZDP site have _two_ navigation bars, one on
the top (which was used for the tutorial), and one one the left. They
complement each other. The one on the top gives a short list of main areas,
the one one the left gives details of the current area.

Because ZDP is being maintained by a growing group of people, all with
access to the management interface, the TinyTable approach gives them the
oppertunity to both specify the navigational structure of their part of the
site, and to use whatever structure within their Folder they see a need
for. There are no strange side effects when copying objects from one place
of the site, to another.
Another advantage is that the TinyTable is ordered, so the links always
appear in the order that the maintainer specified.

On sites where I have full control over who adds objects, and the way they
do this, I do build the navigation totally automated, if possible.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer