[Zope] Zope, PostgreSQL 6.5, and some newbie questions

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:15:21 -0500

At 05:04 PM 6/15/99 -0400, Cary O'Brien wrote:

>1) Is there an easy way to see error messages?  Netscape (3.0) won't show
>   me the source of a frame that had an error, so to see the stack trace
>   I need to use lynx and backslash.

In NS 3 under Win95, here's the way to see the source:

* Left-click on the frame
* Pull down "View" and select Frame Source
* When the source appears, hit Ctrl-R to reload the frame and display the
current source.  If you don't do this, NS uses the last non-error-inducing,
cached version of that URL.

If you leave the source frame open, you can just keep hitting Ctrl-R to
refresh it until the traceback goes away and your page works again.  :)  I
do suggest upgrading to a 4.x version, however, as this process is a few
less steps.  You also may want to look at adding a BOBO_HIDE_TRACEBACKS
setting to your Zope setup so that it will show the tracebacks in plain text.

>3) In order to keep the DTML uncluttered, I've created dtml methods to render
>   things like HTML selections.  Two questions.: First, how do I access them
>   if I move them to a subfolder in the same folder as the dtml document?

<!--#with subfolder--><!--#var method--><!--#/with-->

Or:

<!--#var "_.render(subfolder.method)"-->

>   Second, how do I pass parameters to the dtml methods?

<!--#with subfolder-->
<!--#var "method(None,_,var1=val,var2=val)"-->

>6) How the heck do I set up a back button.  PARENTS[1] doesn't seem to do it.

URL1 could give you an "up" URL.  PARENTS[1] would give you an object
"above" you.  If you want "back" in the sense of "page that linked to this
one", use HTTP_REFERER.  However, that's not recommended as then that leads
to a two-page loop.  Instead, suggest your user use their browser's back
button, or if you absolutely must have that functionality, access it with
JavaScript.