[Zope] How? ZServer + PCGI

Alex Rice alrice@swcp.com
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:47:07 -0600 (MDT)

Yes, sure enough, if I chown the .select-trigger.X file which appears in
/tmp,  I get no errors.

Thanks Amos, Jeff!

Amos> Jeff wrote:
>Not been keeping up with the thread (sorry), but here's a common
>scenario which often describes your symptom.
>
>1. Developers writes file to /tmp with user permissions during
>   local testing.
>2. Application tested.  Attempt to run app as a web server 'nobody'
>   process.  Process fails due to write permission error.
>3. Developer slaps forehead.  Uses chmod or chown to change
>   file mode/owner settings.  Time for a beer, which causes
>   developer's brain to double in power.

Amos> This sounds like the problem. I would guess that ZServer is
Amos> creating a file in /tmp as root, then changing to uid to nobody,
Amos> then it tries to write to the file in /tmp and fails.

Amos> This is going to take a little tinkering on my part to get right,
Amos> probably I'll delay writing the trigger file until after the suid.

Amos> But you should be able to test this by starting ZServer then
Amos> looking for /tmp/.select-trigger.<PID> and checking its ownership,
Amos> and manually fixing it if you feel like it.

Alex Rice    |    alrice@swcp.com    |    http://www.swcp.com/~alrice
    Current Location: N. Rio Grande Bioregion, Southwestern USA