[Zope] Cool but...

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 00:55:14 +0200

Moreover you can accomplish the same thing by using an FTP-enabled
editor (UltraEdit, FTPEdit, Emacs) or even mirroring (you can replicate
between a local file area and ZServer's FTP server).

>If you're using Windows machines, you should investigate
>IE5+WebDAV (which
>is called Web Folders)... this might be of some help.

Unfortunately, IE5's WebDAV support has no provisions for in-place
editing, and so again, you need a specialized editor for that.

>Please understand that while the object database might LOOK like a file
>system in some regards, it contains data which can not be
>expressed in any
>common file system,

Except for BeOS' BFS file system, of course. :-)  It does attributes,
transactions, and efficient RDBMS-like queries.

And don't count out NTFS 5, either (due for NT 5.0, er, Windows 2000
(yuck)), which supports out-of-band attribute data and more.

And now Linux will be getting XFS from SGI's IRIX -- the premier
journaling file system of the UNIX world -- which surely supports at
least some of these features?

>as well as organizational ideas which are
>completely
>foreign to the file-based world (such as acquisition).... just a bit of
>clarity.

True, although this is not something that precludes the use of a
file-system metaphor. Even Zope's own management screens visualize the
database as a hierchical system of container objects.

http://www.digicool.com