[Zope] Proxy server?

Oleg Broytmann phd@emerald.netskate.ru
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:20:15 +0400 (MSD)

Hi!

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Phil Grove wrote:
> Does anyone know how to check if a Zope site is being accessed through a
> proxy server. Basically the authentication setup in the ucl_users folder
> will not let people through to the site if they are going through a proxy
> server, it works fine in other situations. I do not understand fully how
> proxy servers work so any explanation or work around would be appreciated.

   From the server (any server, not only Zope) point of view any proxy
looks like any other HTTP client. It is evident - HTTP server can speak
only to HTTP clients.
   The only difference is that some (I said *some*) proxies put additional
header
   This is the only way to distinguish proxy from plain HTTP client.

   For some proxies (firewall) real_client_address has no meaning at all -
it is internal network address that Internet cannot access - only proxy
provides a way to pass inforamtion in and out...

> Thanks,
>
> P.

> Phil Grove	          phil.grove@flg21.com
> Web Development         0113 2949494