[Zope] Zope 2.0.0a1 feedback & bug-reports

Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer markus.oberhumer@jk.uni-linz.ac.at
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:44:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hi !

I've recently installed zope 2.0.0a1 on a couple of machines
(all using apache 1.3.6 & pcgi) and ran into some minor problems -
I hope reporting them will further improve zope.

time.tzname

  one linux libc5 based python 1.5.2 installation doesn't
  provide time.tzname - the ImportError in DateTime.py should
  be caught

PCGI_EXE & execl

  this was a tricky one: under one installation I had
  an old python 1.5 in /usr/bin and a new python 1.5.2
  in /home/xxx/opt/python-1.5.2/bin/. But because
  the pcgi-wrapper uses execl the wrong binary was
  called at pcgi-time !

  Solution: is PCGI_EXE is an absolute path, then
  use execlp instead of execl.

PCGI_EXE & permissions

  if the pcgi-wrapper cannot execute the binary or not access
  the directory of the binary a more informative error
  message would really help first time installers

sys.version

  related to above, one of the first tests should be a check
  that the version of python zope is running under
  is really at least 1.5.2

apache rewriting

  Assume that I rewrite /foo/Zope to /foo/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi for passing
  HTTP auth. information. This works fine for the first access, but
  then all references within the zope generated pages point to
  /foo/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi/whatever and no further rewriting is done from
  this point on - so management is not possible.

  A workaround is to set SCRIPT_NAME=/foo/Zope in Zope.cgi, but
  I think this problem should be handled by zope.

Regards,
Markus

P.S. the CVS server seems to be down

-----   Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer <markus.oberhumer@jk.uni-linz.ac.at>   -----