[Zope] Use Amaya! Even PCWeek recommends it! -- WAS: IE/Netscape Authoring ... ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org, bjs@crc.com
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:47:07 -0400

From: "Barry Reicherter" <breicherter@ex-pressnet.com
> I can't stand what FP does to code.  We banned it on
> our web team.  The reason I asked about FP Express
> was because it was a free utility that comes
> with IE and getting Communicator into organizations
> that have standardized on IE might be tough.  I'll
> look into WebDAV more.  Thanks for the reply.

From the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) themselves, it is the ONLY
TRUE WYSIWYG HTML Editor (i.e. no "preview" BS like IE/Netscape,
TRUE WYSIWYG) and produces 100% pure DTD-defined [X]HTML 4.0 with
CSS 1 support.  It also supports the full HTTP 1.1 spec (for
compliant HTTP 1.1 servers like uploading and security).  Since it
supports ALL HTML 4.0 tags, there is no reason to manually edit your
code.  And even if you do (and interject non-standard HTML), I have
found it still keeps the code nice and pretty (I use OpenSource GVIM
on both UN*X and Windows, simple but nice syntax colored HTML
editing -- but rarely needed when using Amaya).

LIKE ZOPE, IT IS OPENSOURCE!  And runs on numerous platforms.

Here is the *VERY FAVORABLE* ZD PCWeek Review:
   http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,406026,00.html

One thing ZD liked about Amaya OVER EVERYTHING ELSE is the use of
Styles like a word processor does.  Highlight and apply ... very
simple, but very powerful.  And best of all, produces 100% standard
HTML!

The only thing they found wrong with Amaya was using existing
documents that do not conform to a DTD.  I love how they say "Web
pages with nonstandard HTML don't display properly."  All I can say
is how are nonstandard HTML pages supposed to be displayed
'normally'???  Compared to what???  Netscape, Internet Explorer,
Opera, etc...???

Basically, if you are going to write non-standard HTML, you need to
write a DTD.  And Netscape and Microsoft need to learn how to do
that for their respective editors (of course, they forget this
little responsibility!).  That way, what you see is what you get.
Until then, Amaya is the lone star in that crowd.

-- The BS

--
Bryan J. Smith           mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org,bjs@crc.com
Software Engineer      http://www.smithconcepts.com/legal.html