[Zope] Easily including external HTML file?

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:15:11 -0700

Dan York wrote:

> Greetings!  I've been lurking for a bit and have appreciated
> the tips and ideas I've picked up on the list.  But now I have
> a question.  In one of my pages, I would like to pull in the
> latest stories from Linux Today.  They explain what to do at:
>
>   http://linuxtoday.com/linkus.html
>
> All I would like to do is pull the following file into the
> middle of a DTML document:
>
>   http://linuxtoday.com/backend/lthead.inc
>
> Now I frequently did this before with Apache and server-side
> includes, but I can't figure out exactly how to do this using
> DTML.  In looking around zope.org, I found the contributed
> external method for pulling in items from Slashdot.org:
>
>   http://www.zope.org/Download/Contrib/slashdot.py
>
> And while that works... and I could sit and modify the python
> to have it go pull in the LinuxToday info... I just find myself
> sitting here thinking there's got to be a better way to do this!
> All I want to do is pull in the LT file... no formatting or
> anything else.

In a related series of posts, I indicated interest in a more
sophisticated version of this that would actually construct local
objects from remote files:
http://www.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-June/005521.html
http://www.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-June/005524.html

Something of this sort already exists for Userland's Frontier:
http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$7333

I feel that this capability for content syndication would be a 'killer
app' for the Zope Portal Toolkit, but could concievably be encapsulated
in it's own product.

01 (my two bits),

Michael Bernstein.