[Zope] XML-RPC and Apache (was Re: [Zope] Re: Zope digest, Vol 1 #289 - 28 msgs)

Eric Kidd eric.kidd@pobox.com
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:56:24 -0400

On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 05:28:16PM -0400, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> The jury is still out on that questions.  Zope 2.0 appears to be
> definatly much faster than 1.x w/ ZServer, but substantive analysis has
> not been done with Andrew's new mod_pcgi apache module.  I suspect that
> ZServer and Apache+mod_pcgi will similarly.

That's good news.

> What ZServer buys you is the ability to do webdav (which Apache can also
> do, if you patch it) and especialy FTP and XML-RPC (protocols Apache
> can't, and never will speak).

XML-RPC works through mod_pcgi without any problems--it uses normal HTTP
POST requests with 'content-type: text/xml' and a special XML structure in
the body.

This is an odd way of doing things, but it was chosen to pass through any
HTTP interface unchanged.

Cheers,
Eric