[Zope] RE: Evan Simpson's static/dynamic serving solution and role-based executable business model frameworks...

Jim Salmons salmons@sohodojo.com
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:05:12 -0400

Evan,

Thanks for the EXCELLENT post to the ZOPE Admin list (Digest
Vol.1-#291-Message #1).

I hope you, Evan, do not mind, but I 'reprinted' this post here:

	http://sohodojo.com/forums/Forum14/HTML/000001.html

My primary interest in ZOPE is for the building of role-based executable
business model frameworks (the technical side of our interest in 'ruthlessly
small business' where the 'few heads, many hats' time management dilemma
rules). You can find out more about 'ZOPE, Mirror Worlds and Executable
Models' at:

	http://sohodojo.com/scripts/Ultimate.cgi

In addition to the challenges of constructing these frameworks (I am an
ex-Smalltalker who refuses to 'do Java'!), I am wrestling with the
'static/dynamic' problem as well, primarily for reasons having to do with
search engine crawling, etc.

I don't care what others' say. Of the search engines that count, my
experience on our five sites is that there are plenty of situations where
you had better have '.htm' or 'html' static pages, not even includes, if you
want them indexed. (Getting hit doesn't automatically mean getting indexed,
especially if the hit file is not parseable under the crawler's assumptions
about HTML tagging.)

So anyone with a commercial site (and not too big of an advertising budget!)
that doesn't intend to use a combination of static and dynamic content is
asking to become "The Invisible Site."

I know, I saw it happen dramatically at one of our 'nano-subsidiaries', The
Pop Culture Store. Months back, I thought I was so clever doing some nice
Perl-based inventory management and item viewers. Within weeks the site did
a 'disappearing act' and sales went with it.... the static item pages were
an unappreciated good thing! (And, hey, no wisecracks about it being Perl!)

Thanks again, Evan, for your thoughtful post.

Best Regards,
--Jim--

Jim Salmons and Timlynn Babitsky
	JFS Consulting, a North Carolina nanocorp
	http:.//jfsconsulting.com/home/nanocorp_welcome.html
	Our web businesses:
		http://sohodojo.com
		http://squirrelfeeders.com