[Zope] ftp editing methods

Stefan Bund asbund@gmx.de
29 Jun 1999 10:14:28 +0200

Amos@digicool.com (Amos Latteier) writes:
> This has been discussed before. There should probably be some better
> system for sniffing uploaded content and trying to figure out what sort
> of Zope object to create. This could be based on
>
>   * file extensions
>   * http headers
>   * the content of the uploaded object
>   * Zope preferences
>
> This is a fairly complex problem. For example, there should be some way
> for you to specify that uploaded files with a given file extension
> create instances of a given Z Class.

I've been thinking about it (on the user-level-side) too. I'm far to
new to Zope and Python to try to implement anything, but here are some
ideas:

Use 'site exec' to provide commands of the form 'If the file has
extension foo, it's a bla' or 'All files from now on should be
interpreted as bar'...

Another idea would be to make it possible using site exec to set a
flag, whether or not the files are up- and downloaded with or without
HTTP-Headers. Then it would be possible, to set a Content-Type
Header. And I would find it extremely useful, if I could set
Attributes in those headers too, because I often have documents, which
need a standard set of attributes and it would be nice, if it were
possible to edit them together with the content.

Just my 2c...

Stefan.