[Zope] ANNOUNCE: FAQ Tool sample Zope app.

Martijn Pieters mj@atmm.nl
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 15:08:20 +0100

At 13:21 01/03/99 , Brad Clements wrote:
>I don't get a traceback because I didn't "fiddle", the FAQ item shows up
>in the control panel, but is not in the Add drop-down.
>
>I'm running 1.10.2 on NT with ZServer.

The 'fiddling' involves disbling the exception handling of the product
initialisation. Normally, a 'Levered' product, that has been distributed, has a
product.dat file. This file contains the compressed pickled reprensentation of
the product, which basicly consists of other Zope objects, with a Principia
Factory.

When Zope can't uncompress and depickle the product.dat file, you only get to
see that the Product is installed, but it doesn't contain anything (which a
Levered Product actually should), and nothing else happens or can happen. If
you want to know more on how to use the 'Lever', read up at
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Guides/ZMG/ZMG-HTML/ZMG.html#pgfId-986684
(Zope Manager's Guide, Creating Zoipe Products).

When you disable the exception handling in initializeProduct in Product.py, and
restart Zope, it will exit with the traceback I reported.

I have reported this to DC with the Collector, but I used Win98. You are using
WinNT, which is interesting.. Something goes wrong with decompressing the
product.dat file on win32 platforms (Amos says he tested it succesfully on
Linux).

--
M.J. Pieters, Web Developer