[Zope] Is a JPython implemention within the realm of possibility?

Bern McCarty Bern.McCarty@bentley.com
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:15:17 -0500

I am wondering if it is within the realm of possibility that the Zope
project might eventually support operation as a Java program (under JPython)
in addition to operation under traditional Python.  I know it would probably
be a large undertaking and that there may well be better places to spend
precious energy, but I thought I'd register my interest in the prospect.

In our case it is a given that a specialized JVM will be embedded in all of
our products and more and more of our own source will be written in Java, so
code which can integrate with Java easily is all the more interesting to us.
We already have a product which uses traditional Python behind a web server
to provide an entirely through-the-web user interface for product
configuration/administration. My aim has been to replace the traditional
Python with JPython since we'll have lot's of Java stuff we'll want to be
using on the server going forward anyway.  It looks like Zope would enable
us to do what we are already doing more easily (and therefore better). So
here's hoping we'll one day see Z-over-P-over-J.

Yeah.  I know it would have to be slower.

Zope looks cool.

Bern McCarty