[Zope] Zope and Apache - MADE IT!

raver@box.dust.za.net raver@box.dust.za.net
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:29:03 +0100

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 11:04:31AM -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:

> raver wrote:
> > I give up!
>
> That's unfortunate, but we understand.  Getting *anything* to work with
> Apache's mod_rewrite module is quite a chore.  It doesn't help that
> distributions like RedHat 5.2 ship it in a broken way, then people blame
> us for it, then we track down a problem that is completely outside Zope.
>
> Did you follow the recommendations to start with the built-in webserver
> before trying integrate with Apache?  If so, did that work?
>
> --Paul
>
> Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
> paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909

I finally got it working - just couldn't get it off my mind. Was kinda
mindblowing the whole thing but finally - YES I MADE IT! :)

What I did was to jump off the mod_rewrite thing and try let apache handle
the authentication all together. At first I didn't know of the htpasswd
binary (stupid as I am) so things didn't work at first. Then htpasswd lit my
eyes - did the 'htpasswd -c' thing and ended up with a working AuthUserFile.
Now the trick was to configure the damned thing in httpd.conf - this worked
out ok:

"""
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin">
	AllowOverride None
	Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
	Order allow, deny
	Allow from all
</Directory>

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

<Location /cgi-bin/Zope/>
	AuthType Basic
	AuthName Zope-in
	AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/zope_auth
	require valid-user
</Location>

# 'zope_auth' created with htpasswd -c /usr/local/apache/conf/zope_auth \
'username'

"""

Actually - just like the manual tells me to. I did some wrong links and
generally fucked things up. Thanks for keeping me going at least (that goes
to all U ppl answering me) - sorry for taking up your time.

Sture Lygren
Sture Lygren