[Zope] Some tough questions about zope... (long)

Oyvind Moll oyvindmo@pvv.ntnu.no
04 Mar 1999 01:18:41 +0100

* John Eikenberry

| On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Ronald Offerman wrote:
|
| > > also a rather powerful language for being so simple).  Just leave your
| > > PHP stuff in your documents; Zope will parse out the DTML and return it
| > > to the server, which will parse out the PHP stuff and return it to the
| > > browser.  In fact, you can probably make DTML and PHP work together
| > > nicely and simplify much of your PHP code.  In the quickie case you
| > > don't need to change your PHP.
| >
| > If this would work (having Apache parse the PHP code in the pages
| > returned by Zope), you would save me a lot of painfull converting
| > working PHP code (mainly database related) and I would gradually convert
| > from PHP/Apache to Zope/Python/Apache.
|
| This can't be done currently. I researched this a while back, trying to
| get server side includes to work.
[...]
| Though this is about SSI, it basically means (I believe) that apache can't
| take back the output of a CGI for additional module handling.

I haven't tried it, but it could possibly be done by running two
Apaches: one which stands "in front of" the other.  The front-side
Apache would rewrite every access into a PHP wrapper-script which
include()s a corresponding URL from the back-side Apache where the
Zope things would be done.

On the other hand, I really should be asleep now so all this _may_
be utter nonsense, but I do think it's possible.  It may even be
possible with a single Apache, but that's more hairy than I dare think
about right now.  Good night.

(Btw, my suggested hack isn't in total disagreement with the quoted
FAQ entry, because my hack surely won't work with SSI.  PHP3 isn't an
official Apache module, so they don't neccessarily mention things like
this in their FAQ.)

--
   Øyvind Møll
   oyvindmo@pvv.ntnu.no