[Zope] Authentication and Zope.cgi

Richard Wolff rwolff@noao.edu
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:11:30 -0700

I'm in need of a bit of clarification about how Zope starts up and when
it decides to do its authentication and why.

I'm running 1.10.2, solaris 2.6, apache, pcgi, netscape 4.07.  When I request
mymachine/Zope/manage   I do indeed get the normal management screen.
I haven't been asked in some time for a password, which suprises me;
the 'access' file exists and (but?) hasn't changed since installation.

I'd really like the root folder to say something other than Zope, so
I added to Apache a second rewrite rule that substitues 'mpg' for Zope
in the two places (restarted Apache), and copied Zope.cgi in cgi-bin
to mpg.cgi .  These two cgi files are identical so they point to the
same /var directory.

If I try   mymachine/mpg/manage  ,  I get an authorization failed box,
and upon clicking 'retry', I get the usual authentication box with
the correct 'access' user entered.  I type in the correct password and
the system fails again ("You are not authorized to use this system.
Username and password are not correct").

So, I'm very curious as to what's going on ... and I wouldn't mind
learning how to change the top of the root name as well.