[Zope] Root Folders and Names {Manager's Guide Update}

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 13:53:22 -0800

At 03:44 PM 3/9/99 -0500, Robert OConnor wrote:
>* How do I "name"  the *blank* root folder?

Right now you can't. And you don't need to. The "name" of the root folder
is simply the SCRIPT_NAME your webserver uses to access Zope. By default in
ZServer and ZopeHTTPServer this is an empty string, since they both
normally server one published module, though they both can server multiple
published modules.

So, you can give your root folder a title, but you can't use Zope to change
how your web server calls Zope. Do this with your webserver. In the case of
ZServer, check out the zope_handler.py, it has options to set the
SCRIPT_NAME. ZopeHTTPServer also has options to set the SCRIPT_NAME with
command line arguments.

>So maybe I don't need to "name" this root
>folder.

Right.

>If so, then the Zope manager's guide needs
>to be clearer.

Perhaps the docs should be updated. The manager's guide probably assumes
that you're using PCGI, but it shouldn't make this assumption.

Hope this helps.

-Amos