[Zope] non-External Methods

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:00:45 +0100

Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hello!
>
>    In ExternalMethods.html I found: "ernal Methods operate just like normal
> methods". But what are "normal" methods? The only thing I know is DTML
> Scripts. Are there other? Could I put Python code into Object Database?
> Should I?

I think that DTML Methods (or Documents?) are meant. They are like
methods to the folder objects that Zope publishes. Look at:
http://localhost/Zope/foo/bar/doc as asking Zope 'okay, folder 'foo', I
want your subfolder 'bar' (this could be seen as using a method on foo
to request 'bar'), and then I want to view 'doc' (which is, let's say, a
DTML method) in bar. 'doc' in that case is a method of the bar object,
which, when called, returns HTML code (to the browser).

An *external* method is a method which comes from outside the Zope
object database (though it's loaded into it, and behaves just like a
normal internal method).

If all this talk turns out to be correct (somebody tell me or send
corrections), then I can turn this into a FAQ entry. If anybody else
feels like writing this up in a nice way for the FAQ (Oleg?) that'd even
be better. Just send your contributions to the ZDP list.

Regards,

Martijn