[Zope] non-External Methods

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:57:47 -0500

>From: Martijn Faassen <faassen@vet.uu.nl>
> I think it's true Product python code doesn't go into the Object
> Database, but I'm unclear about what happens with External Method python
> code. You need press the 'edit' button for an external method in Zope
> each time you changed something in it and want it updated. This would
> imply Python code can indeed be part of the Object database, right?

Pressing the 'edit' button "reloads" that particular External Method code
into the system.  It's not stored in the database at all - the External
Method object you add/edit through the Zope management screens is primarily
a pointer/wrapper to a method in a module in the Extensions directory.  The
Edit button in essence acts similar to the reload(module) function in
Python.

Basically, Zope (and Python) don't have a way of knowing the code in a
module has changed unless it's explicitly reloaded, which is a good thing.

.jPS | jeffrey@digicool.com
zope, through the web. www.zope.org