[Zope] Letting everyone view contents of a newly built site

Kevin Dangoor kid@ans.net
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:49:39 -0500

Hello!

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 06:44:13PM +0100, raver@box.dust.za.net wrote:
,-----
| Hi!
|
| Just made a small test-site, and followed the Zope magager guide to how to
| let anyone view my newly made site, but thisg doesn't work. The doc say that
| by default everyone should have access to view the contents of a site made
| by zope, but here the authorization/authentication dialogue pops up whenever
| someone try to access the site. Cancelling username/passwd just ends in
| failure. Why ? I'm using apache as webserver for zope and has made it so that
| apache handles the authentication bit, but still - shouldn't it let
| 'anonymous' trough? I've had a look at the security settings for both
| folders and files and they all let 'anonymous view'. Whats wrong?

When you say that you made it so that Apache handles the authentication,
I take that to mean you have created a .htaccess file? If that is the
case, Apache will always prompt for the password and check it against
your password file. If you use mod_rewrite to let Zope handle authentication,
you will not see the password prompt for resources that are available
to anonymous users.

Kevin