[Zope] Parsing XML into/out of the database

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:21:24 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Tony McDonald wrote:

> Would lend itself to creation in the Zope database really easily (I think).
> XML elements (document, topic) and attributes such as id (used to uniquely
> identify an element) and title would be properties of the DTML
> document/method. So long as the id numbers were properly arranged, it should
> be *relatively* (good word that!) simple to recreate the original XML
> document. I assume that parsing the XML (in actual fact, the DTML doc/method
> would consist of *very little* XML I think, it all being taken care of in
> properties) to create HTML would be, again, relatively easy (my own tendency
> is to use the 'title' attribute as a class identifier for cascading style
> sheets).
>
> My question is, do people think that this idea could fly? I have spent *a
> long time* looking at how to get our Word (sorry for saying that!) documents

This is more or less what I did for my original FAQ product (but on a much
smaller scale). I found out XML docs map nicely onto Zope's DB structure.
I think you should give it a try because really it is not much effort to
implement.

Since the FAQ development has moved to zdp.zope.org my site is no longer
needed so I created a guest account with the following authentication
info:

guest
bobo

at URL http://www.gaaros.com:9673

You can visit it and see my approach to the problem. I should also include
the code of the external method that creates the Zope objects. (I believe
a couple of more zopistas asked me for source access so here is your
chance.) I have backed up Zope's DB so you can mess around as much as you
want.

Pavlos