[Zope] ZServer licensing

Hadar Pedhazur hadar@verticality.com
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 10:10:21 -0500

Simon wrote:
> Christopher Petrilli <petrilli@amber.org> writes:
> > probably corret the exact legal situation, but
> > basically DC bought an unlimited license to give
> > it away ... say thank you :-)
>
> they *bought* it ? really ?

I know that a number of people responded to this already,
including Paul. However, he didn't give as concrete response
as this direct question requests.

The answer is _yes_, Digital Creations most definitely paid
_real money_ to Sam for the right to embed parts of Medusa
in ZServer. However, the intent of the license is to allow
unlimited, free, Open Source(tm) use, within the Zope
environment. If you don't intend to use Zope, then you
should be licensing Medusa separately from Sam Rushing. We
highly recommend it (obviously), and have put our money
where our mouth is.

The reason that this is an important question to answer is
that we are so committed to the Open Source movement, that
not only do we release stuff that we wrote, but when
appropriate, we will invest hard cash to further the
community as well (ZServer being but one example).