[Zope] one 'document' in many 'folders'

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:05:07 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Wade Leftwich <wade@lightlink.com>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 1999 8:44 AM
Subject: [Zope] one 'document' in many 'folders'

> The object of the game is to pull fresh articles from a Reuters
> server every two hours and put them in a bin. A human editor goes
> through the bin, culls and sorts the articles, edits where
> appropriate.
>
> One article may appear in more than one section of the site. For
> example, an article titled "Zope Is Cool" might appear in the
> Python, Web Development, and Open Source sections. Each
> section has its own contents page.

This application sounds similar to stuff that I (and others on this list are
trying to accomplish).

> This is where I get confused. My Perl application simply used the
> filesystem as a database, and generated three separate static
> copies of "Zope Is Cool", placing one in each of  three directories:
> /python, /web_development, and /open_source. I suspect there are
> much better ways to do it in Zope, but how do I organize things?

My immediate term solution is to make multiple copies of the article in the
ZDB. I agree that this is suboptimal.

Paul@DC has mentioned that they are working on a "Catalog" feature that they
would like to integrate with Zope. This feature will be *perfect* for this
application (and many others). Unfortunately, I don't think this is on the
very near term radar scope.

Depending on how far out Catalog is, and when I manage to finish off the
basic necessities for my sites, I was thinking of delving into Zope's btree
stuff and trying to put together some kind of search interface. Right now,
though, I've still got a bunch of work to do before I get to that point.

Kevin