[Zope] Make site searchable

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:18:12 -0800

At 10:52 AM 3/22/99 +0100, Raver wrote:

>I'm working on an intranet site (using Zope). Now I need to make the site
>searchable. Tried using htdig, but without luck (should it work with
zopesites?).

Unless you do something tricky, I doubt you will be able to get normal
search engines to work with a Zope site, since I belive that most search
engines want to read HTML files from the filesystem for indexing.

>Now I wonder - is there a builtin feature in zope that can fix my problem, or
>are there other programs like htdig that works with zope?

Right now there is a simple Find mechanism, but it isn't really a robust
search facility. In addition, Zope now includes low-level Python packages
for indexing. So the basic tools are there, but there isn't an easy to use,
out of the box search engine in Zope.

We're working on a much better solution to this problem. We're calling it
Zope Cataloging, and it is currently built with ZTables. I believe that
like ZTables, Zope Cataloging will eventually be free, and become a core
part of Zope. Unfortunately, I do not have a timeline. Sorry. :-(

-Amos