[Zope] Make site searchable

Wade Leftwich wade@okaynetwork.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 07:46:33 -0500

At Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:18:12 -0800
 Amos Latteier <amos@aracnet.com> wrote:
> At 10:52 AM 3/22/99 +0100, Raver wrote:
>
> >I'm working on an intranet site (using Zope). Now I need to make the site
> >searchable. Tried using htdig, but without luck (should it work with
> zopesites?).
>
> Unless you do something tricky, I doubt you will be able to get normal
> search engines to work with a Zope site, since I belive that most search
> engines want to read HTML files from the filesystem for indexing.

If your search engine works via http it should work OK with Zope.
Thunderstone Webinator (thunderstone.com) does this, and there's
a free version that I think will do up to 10,000 docs. (The
commercial version costs $700.) There's a command-line switch
that tells Webinator to go ahead & index URLs that include /cgi-
bin/.

-- Wade Leftwich (satisfied Thunderstone customer).
Wade Leftwich
Okay Network Services, Ithaca NY
tel 607-277-1334  fax 607-272-3612