[Zope] AW: [Zope] one 'document' in many 'folders'

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:17:23 -0500

Stefan Franke wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way I see to do this *inside*
> the Zope application is to keep all your articles inside one folder
> (pool) and have key documents in your tree structure which
> reference an article in the pool.

You're wrong. ;)  There are a numnber of ways to solve this.  I suspect
the simplest is to simply put the same object in multiple folders.

(BTW, this is essentially the same thing as using Unix hard links.)

> I don't know if problems appear when you establish an acyclic
> directed graph structure in the object hierarchy itself (I asked
> the question myself months ago without an answer).

Sorry you didn't get an answer.  There is no problem with creating
acyclic or cyclic graph constructors in the, uh, object hierarchy,
which BTW, need not be a hierarchy. :)

> I see no point why it shouldn't work, but it is not maintained
> by the application.
>
> An interesting fact is that your object's properties vary when
> accessed by different paths due to the acquisition structure.
> An object inside Zope's database (again, correct me, if...)
> doesn't know about its father. It only knows about its sons,
> the aq_parent path is constructed on each access.

Yes, exactly.  In fact, a better name for aq_parent might
be aq_context.

> Would also like to hear more about this...

Like what? :)

Jim

repeats.