[Zope] [Project Idea] Looking ahead to the future of Linux .. .

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:30:37 -0500

Bryan wrote:
> Little and big internal projects aside, I was wondering if Zope could
> possibly fill a gap that will come about with Linux shortly.
> That gap is
> software distribution at the enterprise server to client level.

The field of online software distribution is certainly hot.  Marimba,
the original Java darling, has reinvented themselves in this field:

  http://www.marimba.com/products/products.htm

They are playing, though, in a pretty complicated mission-critical kind
of field.  The requirements are pretty daunting.

> Linux (and many other OpenSource software and systems) is
> winning in the
> server arena, but the corporate desktop world is staying with
> NT and the
> consumer world is staying 95/98.  While the third will take
> awhile, the
> corporate desktop is something that is attainable in the next
> few years
> (with all the Windows 2000 issues which I do not want to get into).
> Microsoft has SMS for NT and even Apple has a better system
> for MacOS X
> Server.  What does Linux have?
>
> First off, most Linux distributions have RPM.  While the
> format is the same,
> the filesystem and other distribution or
> installation-specific configuration
> may differ.  Quite possibly, a Zope-based distributed
> management system
> could be built to serve this purpose.

One thing I've seen that's pretty interesting in a low-tech kind of way
is rpmfind from rufus.w3.org from a repository.

> I guess my main question is if anyone else is trying to forge
> such a project
> togther.  E.g., does the Caldera Open Administriative System
> (COAS) plan to
> solve such software distribution issues?  If not, do any
> others?  If not,
> I'd say it is a BIG DEAL to get such a project underway.  And
> Zope may be
> the perfect fit for the back-end (hence, why I am posting
> this to this list
> instead of a my local LUG).

It's certainly a big deal in that it is an enormous initiative.  Take
some time to jot down what you think the business goals and the
requirements of such a project might be and recruit some volunteers!

> Just an idea.  Please feel free to pick it apart (short of
> calling me an
> idiot, well maybe you should anyway :-).  I am still learning
> Python at this
> stage (big-time Perl advocate, but Python is definately better for
> web-apps).

Oh you certainly say all the right things.

--Paul