[Zope] Building Zope on BSDI

John Eikenberry John Eikenberry <jae@kavi.com>
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:24:50 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 12:57:33PM -0800, John Eikenberry wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone built Zope on a BSDI machine? BSDI doesn't support shared
> > libraries, so everything has to be statically compiled into python.
> > I just got it to build (python w_pcgi.py finished), but there doesn't seem
> > to be a new python binary anywhere with everything compiled in. To get it
> > to compile, I went through and deleted all the '*shared*' from the 'Setup'
> > files. Any tips?
>
> Um, what VERSION of BSDI are you using?  I haven't usd anything since
> 3.0, but I SWEAR it has standard BSD style shared libraries, same as
> FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD... It'd be a huge step backwards if it
> didn't.... are you sure it just didn't auto-detect the method right?

Alright, I guess I was jumping the gun a bit with my assumptions about
shared library support. It does support them, just not in a format I'm
used to (based on my Linux/Solaris experience).

Ok, so then mabey I messed up in autodetecting as you mentioned. How would
you suggest I do this?

Here's a few lines of the errors it reports when trying to compile any of
the shared extensions...

www ~/Zope-1.10.2-src/lib/python/SearchIndex 242> make
gcc  -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include/python1.5 -I/usr/local/include/python1.5
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I/projects/_/python -c ./Splitter.c
ld  Splitter.o  -o Splitter.so
./Splitter.c:105: Undefined symbol _PyString_AsString referenced from text
segment
./Splitter.c:114: Undefined symbol _free referenced from text segment
./Splitter.c:126: Undefined symbol _PyString_Type referenced from text
segment
etc.... (many more Undefined symbol errors)

So... any tips for compiling the Zope extensions as shared libs? I'll
probably keep working on the static python solution, as I'm actually
making progress on this, and I really have no idea where to start with
shared libs on BSDI (no good leads on dejanews, and egroups is
non-responsive as usual).

Thanks,

---

John Eikenberry