[Zope] Linux Expo - Community Portals - The future

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Sat, 01 May 1999 18:38:54 -0400

Robert O'Connor wrote:

> On Apr 7th Paul Everitt wrote:
>
> >We are focusing on Linux Expo (May 18-22, www.linuxexpo.org) as a focus
> >point for us where a number of things are going to come together:
> >... 1) I'll be giving a speech on the business track about Open Source...
> >... 3) We'll have a booth there.
>
> *Are any Zopesters or DigiCool folks going to Linux Expo?
> The only note from the Zope list: Tom Jenkins is going.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't terribly clear.  Digital Creations will have a
Zope booth at Linux Expo.  Many of us are going down for Wed-Sat.  I'm
speaking on Saturday.

> > ...2) We are working with a professional PR firm (read: expensive) to
> > coordinate a branding overhaul and PR push.  We are positioning Zope as
> > an application server focusing on community portals...
> > ...our portal story (such as Membership, Catalog, etc.) will land...
> > ...brand of the company is "unleashing potential"...
>
> *What are the "Community Portal" specs?

Hmm, I'm not sure if the "Community" part is going to stick or not.  Our
portal story is about collaboration, which sounds better than community.

Anyway, as Brian mentioned, we are focusing on search, directory, news,
and membership.  Directory isn't getting a lot of attention, although
the Catalog provides a bit of directory kinds of organization.

> *Who is working on this project?

Several of the people here.  Once we get it in a usable state we'll move
zope.org on top of it.  After the show we'll open it up to others.

> *Is this an above the line or a below the line project?

The latter.  By the way, I'm going to take David Ascher's suggestion and
stop using that jargon.  The portal toolkit will be open source like
Zope.

> I've been participating on this ZOPE list which
> is the "Zope community".   Would this new portal
> product be beneficial to current ZOPE members
> as users of the product?

Certainly.  We hope over the year to make zope.org a place that has
individual value as well as group value.

> > 4) We are coordinating some software efforts to coincide with the show.
> > For instance, beta1 of Zope2 will be ready by then, knock on wood.
>
> Great.  Today I look forward to 1.11.

Yep, me too :^)  I worry that there's too much new stuff in it,
though...we'll see.

> > 5) I certainly expect the zope.org site and the digicool.com site to be
> > overhauled by then.
>
> Good Idea 'cause the Digicool is still promoting the Dec 4th Zope 1.9

Whimper.

> > 6) Apparently we're on the PowerTools CD for RedHat 6.0 which I imagine
> > will be launched during the show.
>
> I assume that this is the 1.10.2 version

Yep.

> > As part of the PR push we need some of you out there to ride the wave
> > with us and give us some case studies.  This is both crucial for Zope
> > and a great benefit to you!
>
> *What are the current case studies being worked on?

Until the people agree I can't talk about it.

--Paul