[Zope] HEAD Requests

Wolf Logan wolf@searchbutton.com
Tue, 4 May 1999 23:59:49 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Paulo Eduardo Neves <neves@inf.puc-rio.br>
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 9:17 PM

> My Zope isn't accepting HEAD HTTP requests. I'm receiving 404 'Not
> Found' errors. GET requests work as expected.
>
> Is it usual or is a problem with my configuration? Is there any way to
> fix it?

we've seen the same behavior on our system using zpublisher and apache. i
haven't tried it yet with zserver, but i'll bet it has the same problem. on
the other hand, there are other servers and systems that have this same
problem.

> This is very serious! Search engines robots usually first make a HEAD
> request and, just if the file has changed, makes the GET. If HEADs
> aren't working, my site won't appear in ANY search engine.

<shameless plug>
it will appear just fine in *our* search engine, since we detect and
compensate for this very bug. but i wish we didn't have to.
</shameless plug>