[Zope] Could we migrate Zope email to a news group?

Ty Sarna tsarna@endicor.com
5 May 1999 21:44:56 GMT

In article <3730ABAC.847228F@regalint.com>,
Philip Aylesworth  <zopelist@regalint.com> wrote:
> > Indeed. I'm reading the zope.misc newsgroup in trn right now :-)
>
> Huh?

I already run a local news<-->mail gateway for the zope (and many other)
mailing lists.

> I like the idea. I love dejanews. I use my-dejanews as my news reader.
> Everyone has access to that, right? It would be great for looking back
> for postings. The search engine for this list has never worked for me. I
> actually set up another mail account for Zope so that I could read the
> list when I want and archive the mail myself. News would be great (if it
> gets on Dejanews).

In order to be archived on Dejanews, I believe it would have to be
distributed along with the rest of USENET. The problem with this is that
it opens the forum up to spamming, off-topic threads, and all sorts of
other junk. If there was a comp.infosystems.zope, or what have you, the
volume would probably rise tenfold overnight, with most of it being
completely irrelevant.

I think the better approach is a semi-private "zope" hierarchy read from
a specific server, much like microsoft.*, netscape.public.*,
pilot.*, symantec.*, borland.*, autodesk.*, etc, etc.

Many newsreaders (especially those in web browsers) can be configured
for multiple servers. For those that can't (like trn), something like
nntpcache (www.nntpcache.org) will do the trick.