[Zope] Could we migrate Zope email to a news group?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 6 May 1999 09:32:54 -0400

The Web archiver in Mailman's mother was a hamster and father smelled of
elderberry.

I have been given explicit permission to state this fact by Ken. ;)

> > The web interface can provide an archive, with reliability
> (more so than
> > email!), searchability (especially if the news-group is not part of
> > USENET), and the right look and feel. Also, having a URL to
> point to is a
> > great boon when discussing recurring topics.
>
> 	"Agreed. " * 3

<gratuitous plug>
IMAPAdapter!

I've put IMAPAdapter development on hold for a bit (because it's really
not very safe to use until Zope 2 when blocking isn't an issue) but
IMAPAdapter can make a great mail list web archive, given that you have
an IMAP folder archiving the mail for you.  This basicly gives you a
full mail client functionality through the web, with fun stuff like
searching and sorting, MIME handling and threading built in nicely.
Once I get the new Cataloging code finished up, tying that in with
IMAPAdapter would give some very fast and interesting searchability.  As
I understand it, the searching algorithms for most (free) IMAP servers
are pretty brute forceish and slow.

</gratuitous plug>

-Michel