[Zope] Zope on BSDI

Eric Kidd eric.kidd@pobox.com
Thu, 13 May 1999 10:17:24 -0400

On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 02:01:23PM +0000, Ty Sarna wrote:
> In article <19990513082927.Q1199@moebius.dartmouth.edu>,
> Eric Kidd  <eric.kidd@pobox.com> wrote:
> > I've just gotten Zope running on a BSDI system. The installation's a
> > pain, but it seems to run well enough once installed. The trick, as
> > usual, is to link all the necessary Python modules into a custom
> > interpreter. This involves some hand-hacking of the Zope and Python
> > builds.
>
> What version of BSDI are you running? I thought they've supported shlibs
> for years.

They do, but Python blows up miserably (see the earlier thread on this
subject). To support external modules, Python must be able to load shared
libraries at runtime. Unfortunately, BSDI and Python do not like each other
at all.

It's much easier and cleaner to simply build a static Python.

Cheers,
Eric