[Zope] Zope under Linux -- duh?

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Thu, 13 May 1999 23:07:09 -0400

> Have you guys ran Zope 1.11 under Linux 2.0.x with Python 1.5.2? I can't
> get the thing to work.

As of today, we're still only "certifying" 1.5.1, not 1.5.2, simply because
we haven't had the time to really beat 1.5.2 enough to make sure it works.
This will definitely happen after we get back from Linux Expo next week.

> Problem 1: If I try running the version of Python that comes with the
> Zope sources, I get "bash: ./python: No such file or directory". None of
> our resident Linux experts could explain this, as the file was seemingly
> not corrupted. Naturally the install script does not work because of
> this, and neither does Zope.

Check your #! header in the files, this can cause that problem all over the
place ;-) It's another one of UNIX's features!

> So, what's the deal here? Surely a _lot_ of people are running Zope on
> Linux.

Yup, we do most of our development on Linux of some form (I run FreeBSD,
some people use NT), but like I said, we're all still frozen on 1.5.1 for
now.  We'll get this settled in the next week or two I think.  Definitely
2.0 will be 1.5.2 compatible :-)

Hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn, but 1.11 is "dead" in that we're not
going to release any more versions of it.  We've decided that ZClasses and
everything else will come with 2.0, it's just too big an overhaul to call it
a minor release.  This will be the May 19th alpha that is released.

Chris
--
Christopher Petrilli                                  Digital Creations
petrilli@digicool.com