[Zope] Midgard

Howard Clinton Shaw III shawh@sths.org
Sat, 15 May 1999 11:50:18 -0500

On Tue, 11 May 1999, you wrote:
> > Careful with that Axe, Martijn! ;)  Chris Petrelli brought up the point
> > just the other day that the ability to quicky and easily add objects to
> > the 'Add' menu can mean trouble.  It is the opinion of some the add menu
> > is too big as it is.  I'm sure many of you have sat down at a Windows
> > machine whose user didnt' organize their start menu very deep, and the
> > 'Programs' menu was pages upon pages of menu options all at the same
> > depth.  In that particular case, we are talking about user error, but in
> > this case, it is a limitation of the web pulldown box widget (not really
> > a limitation of the existing widget, but the lack of a more complex
> > structured one).
>
> A'hoy! I knew Michel was up to something, my ears hurt... Seriously though,
> I think that there are some elegant ways to solve this.  If only there were
> "cascading menus" in HTML ;-)

Cascading menus are pretty simple using a little Javascript... And it should be
possible to have the interface provide a traditional long-john add list in the
absence of Javascript. Basically you have the Javascript change the contents of
menu B based on the selection in menu A. I have a sample in Zope based on data
pulled from an SQL query, if you're interested.