[Zope] setting passwords

Bill Randle billr@coinet.com
Sat, 15 May 1999 15:23:28 -0700

On May 15,  5:11pm, Paul Everitt wrote:
} Subject: RE: [Zope] setting passwords
}
} Howard wrote:
} > Bill wrote:
} > > I kept wondering why I never saw a box to set the user
} > password, then I
} > > finally discovered it was because I'm accessing the
} > management interface
} > > from a remote system (i.e. not the system Zope is installed
} > on). The web
} > > server box Zope is installed on does not have an operating
} > X server, so
} > > even if I physically went to that machine, I still couldn't fire up
} > > Netscape to set the passwords.
} >
} > Not sure what you're problem is here. I can set passwords
} > from any netscape.
}
} I _think_ this might mean the server is using .htpasswd for the
} passwords.  Zope has a hack, created for folks that just can't get their
} web server to pass along authentication information, to let the web
} server handle authentication.
}
} If that mode is on, it might be the reason you can't set the password.
}
} Sorry I'm not more helpful :^(
}
} --Paul
}-- End of excerpt from Paul Everitt

Is this mode what is indicated by 'remote_user_mode__'? What made me suspect
remote access vs. local access was the use of this variable in addUser.dtml
as in:

<!--#if remote_user_mode__-->
  <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="password" value="password">
  <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="confirm"  value="password">
<!--#else-->
<TR>
  <TD VALIGN="TOP">
  <STRONG>Password</STRONG>
  </TD>
  <TD VALIGN="TOP">
  <INPUT TYPE="PASSWORD" NAME="password" SIZE="40">
  </TD>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD VALIGN="TOP">
  <STRONG>(Confirm)</STRONG>
  </TD>
  <TD VALIGN="TOP">
  <INPUT TYPE="PASSWORD" NAME="confirm" SIZE="40">
  </TD>
</TR>
<!--#/if-->

I followed the instructions and suggestions previously posted on this list
for setting up the Apache access.conf file:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} ^(.*)
RewriteRule ^/Zope/Gamba_home/(.*)
/var/www/titan/markgamba.com/Zope.cgi/Gamba_home/$1
[e=HTTP_CGI_AUTHORIZATION:%1,t=application/x-httpd-cgi,l]
^^^ above is one long line ^^^

<Directory "/var/www/titan/markgamba.com">
Options Includes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
</Directory>

Is this not correct?

	-Bill