[Zope] OT: Help a newbie install Zope 2.0!

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Wed, 26 May 1999 10:31:30 +0200

At 01:19 26/05/99 , Michael Bernstein wrote:
>I have recently done a vanilla install of RedHat 5.2 (server config)
>onto an intel machine here at work, and have located and installed the
>RPM's for Python 1.5.2.
>
>I have also downloaded the source archilve, but I'm unsure what comes
>next. I am not an experienced Linux user, and am a bit overwhelmed by
>the documentation.
>
>Can anyone help by describing the procedure to uncompress the archive,
>compile, and install Zope 2.0? And is the setup I described adequate, or
>are some other prerequisites (I'm wondering if ZAP will work with the
>alpha version)?
>
>Thank you for your attention,
>
>Michael Bernstein.

<disclaimer>I have never installed any Zope ditribution on any Linux
machine, with or without Python RPM packages. I am writing this out of the
top of my head. I always work on IRIX 6.2, with the latest CVS
checkout.</disclaimer>

You may need to download the Python Development RPM, if you haven't yet,
because you need the Makefile.pre.in file contained in that package. It is
called 'python-devel-1.5.2-2.i386.rpm'.

To unpack the archive, type 'gunzip -c Zope-2.0.0a1-src.tgz | tar xvf -'
(without the quotes). This will create a directory called 'Zope-2.0.0a1-src'.

Go into that directory and type 'python wo_pcgi.py'. This will precompile
all python files into .pyc files (for speedy startup of Zope), and compile
all C extensions. That was the tricky bit.

Now look at z2.py, so you know how to use it. I wrote a 'start-z2' script,
to simplify things, so I won't have to edit z2.py itself (handy when you
try and keep up with the CVS).

Here is a modified start-z2:
----------------SNIP
#!/usr/bin/sh
ZOPEHOME=/path/to/Zope-2.0.0a1-src
PIDFILE=var/zProcessManager.pid
THREADS=4
IPADDRESS=\'\' # Empty == all interfaces
IPNAME=localhost
DNSIP=127.0.0.1
HTTPPORT=9673
FTPPORT=9221
PCGIPORT=\'\' # Empty == Not enabled
OUTPUTLOG=$ZOPEHOME/var/z2-output.log
ZODB2='' # uncomment next line to disable ZODB3
#ZODB2='-2'

/usr/local/bin/python $ZOPEHOME/z2.py $ZODB2 -z $ZOPEHOME -Z $PIDFILE -t
$THREADS -a $IPADDRESS -n $IPADDRESS -d $DNSIP -w $HTTPPORT -f $FTPPORT -p
$PCGIPORT 1>> $OUTPUTLOG 2>&1 &

Hope this helps.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer