[Zope] To Zope or Not To Zope?

Itamar S.-T. itamars@ibm.net
Wed, 26 May 1999 23:04:12 +0300

Alexander Staubo wrote:

> This statement piques me, for several reasons. I don't mind that Digital
> Creations publish products that are commercial and cost $, but I'd
> object to any Microsoft-ish pricing (eg., if you'd sold Confera for
> $1000 I'd definitely balk). So please be lenient, huh? But more than
> that I'd like to ask you what happens when you demote a commercial
> product to a free one. Isn't this unfair to all those people who might
> have bought it?
>
> Maybe you should consider stratifying your product line into "free" and
> "subscription". If I join the Zope Gold Club for $500/year, I get all
> your heavy-duty client/server stuff for free. Sort of a "fixed rate"
> thing.

Digicool is offering to give you stuff for free, and you want to pay for
it?  I think you're kinda missing the point of the OpenSource model -
selling support, expertise, and "the feature you requested goes in FIRST
since you paid", not software as such.

The problem with Microsoft isn't their prices - it's that their software is
closed and proprietary.

--
Itamar - itamars@ibm.net