[Zope] problem with mime-types and IE4

Ross J. Reedstrom reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu
Fri, 28 May 1999 16:50:56 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all -
I'm seeing what's probably some sort of bug in IE4, but if I can find a work
around, it's save me a ton or arguing with people.

The observation is that if I put a binary file into a Zope store
(1.11.0pr1, with some CVS patches), i.e. anything with a mimetype that's
not */text, I can't upload or download with IE4, through an Apache
server. I have no problems with Netscape, but IE4 chokes - either upload
or download. IE5 works.

If I serve the same file from straight from Apache, it works fine. I
used ZClient to grab the HTTP headers when served each way, but I can't
seem to find a problem:

This one works:

server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) Debian/GNU
content-type: application/msword
accept-ranges: bytes
date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:26:19 GMT
connection: close
etag: "380b-3200-374eff5f"
content-length: 12800
last-modified: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:41:03 GMT

This one doesn't:

server: Apache/1.3.6 Ben-SSL/1.32 (Unix) Debian/GNU
vary: Authorization
content-type: application/msword
date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:28:00 GMT
x-powered-by: Zope (www.zope.org), Python (www.python.org)
connection: close
content-length: 12800
last-modified: Thu, 20 May 1999 22:48:17 GMT

in each case, the file is downloaded correctly, by Client.py

The only diffs are the accept-ranges:, etag:, vary:, x-powered-by:
and last-modified: headers.

Anyone have a clue?

Ross

P.S. where is the x-powered-by header generated? I can't seem to find it by
grepping through the source.

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer