[Zope] Zope.org performance (Was Re: [Zope] Front door on the Zope web site)

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 11:23:19 -0500

Paul wrote:
> "Jay, Dylan" wrote:
> > and make fixing the zope.org site a top priority. Going to
> the MS site and
> > seeing how slow it is gives me no faith in ASP. Same
> applies here. The Zope
> > site MUST run fast if people are to trust in it no matter
> what the technical
> > reason for its extremely slugish performance may be. I've
> given up looking
> > at it (>1min is my limit).
>
> Believe me, it couldn't be a higher priority.  We ordered a
> new machine
> for on Friday and the stupid computer company sent it 3 day instead of
> next day.  Sigh.  It should be in today.  Zope.org will then run by
> itself on a modestly powered machine.

We haven't put it on the new machine yet, but we did do two other things
late last week:

  o Amos put in some HTTP caching information.  The hope is that images
cache correctly and pages cache for anonymous for around ten minutes.

  o Increased object cache size.  We had it dialed *way* down (200
objects!) while we were doing some debugging and didn't raise it.  We
increased the number.

Thus, before we bring up the site on the new, dedicated machine:

  o Did anybody notice any performance improvements on Saturday or over
the weekend?

  o Did anything seem to break?

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations