[Zope] Various questions (long).

Otto Hammersmith otto@ipass.net
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 07:50:01 -0800

I posted this Friday, but it seems to have gotten lost in
the ether.  Appologies if it shows up twice (checked the
archives and it's not there so...).

Hello all,

FWIW, I've copied the UserDB product (1.3.0) from the old
Zope.org site and created a package. It's cataloged now,
but the URL is http://www.zope.org/Members/otto/userdb.

I've downloaded the beta ZDiscussions product (very nice,
BTW) and it has brought up a question about ZCatalog and
classes that inherit from it. If an object inherits from
ZCatalog does that mean it's sub-objects are only cataloged
there? For example, if I create a ZDiscussion topic
how can I have a site wide search interface that will also
search the ZDiscussion items in that topic.

I've done some experimenting and I've found out I can have
a ZCatalog catalog the discussion itself, which is somewhat
useful... but there doesn't seem to be a way to catalog the
items outside the discussion.

Wouldn't it make more sense for ZDiscussion to not inherit
from ZCatalog but allow provide a search interface limited
to searching discussion?  It should be easy to limit the
search based on meta-type, but I don't see a way to limit
it to a single discussion. Also, to allow the possibility
of keeping the discussion out of the default catalog it
should be possible to create a new catalog as a sub-object
of the ZDiscussion.

On the other hand would it make sense (or is is possible
already) to "chain" ZCatalogs?

Just a few thoughts... :)

My second question is on AUTHENTICATED_USER. What
properties does it have? The DTML User's Guide says "This
object currently provides no public attributes" but the
source for ZDiscussions clearly uses some functions and
attributes like getName() and 'email'.  Is this something
that UserDB gives you? (I haven't had the chance to play
around with that much, yet.)

TIA.

                    -Otto.

Get Visto.com!  Private groups, event calendars, email, and much more.
Visto.com. Life on the Dot.
Check it out @ http://www.visto.com/info