[Zope] KnowledgeKit HowTo?

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 15:38:28 -0700

Bruce Elrick wrote:

> Bill Anderson wrote:

> > > My questions are numerous, but I'll only ask a few here.
> > >
> > > With respect to this product, how is one expected to add entries?  I know I
> > > can pop into the manage page and then I have the usual Zope page for adding
> > > objects.  In fact, my navigation code in my index_html uses:
> > >     <dtml-if "AUTHENTICATED_USER.has_permission('Edit', this())">
> > >     </dtml-if>
> > > which gives me something to click on to get there.  However, I have two
> > > problems with this.  One is the look of the Zope management screen is
> > > glaringly different from the rest of the site and allows (gives one the
> > > opportunity?) one to add other things besides KBEntries (or FAQEntries where
> > > appropriate).
> >
> > Hmmm ... couldn't do anything about the look on an aggregate basis
> > (AFAIK).
> > However, I believe it would be possible to create a manage_main method
> > in the folder that does only what you want it to, aquiring the look of
> > your site in the process somehow. YOu could also cut down on the allowed
> > sub-objects in the XClass for FAQBase and KBase (although an upgrade
> > would reset these to the default), since they inherit from Object
> > Manager, thus limiting to only FAQ and KB Entries what can be added.
> >

> I would want to retain the ability to upgrade, so I will investigate making my
> own local method.  On a related note, I notice that the form that you fill in
> to create a new entry (the KBEntry_addForm) uses 'raw' html and doesn't use
> standard_html_header/footer.  Is there a reason for this, like the acquisition
> rules not cooperating?

Nah, just laziness :-) It is a modified version of the one autmatically
created by zope when you make a ZClass.

> > >  The other problem I have is that when I'm in a FAQBase the
> > > above code does not give me an edit button (in a KBase it does).
> >
> > Odd, I'll see if I can duplicate it.
> >
> > > I'd like to modify the KBase's and FAQBase's 'body' (was index_html) to
> > > include something that a use can click on to add an new item.
> >
> > The current version includes this feature for the FAQBase. I rather
> > uncreatively called it 'User Support'. When adding a FAQBase, you have
> > an option for User Support. Currently, when selected (or when selected
> > later), it will indicate at the bottom of the FAQ Base page (index_html)
> > that it alows user additions, and includes a link to the add form. The
> > FAQ Maintainer will receive an email indicating that is has been
> > submitted, and provide a URL to review it, as KM|News does. The
> > submitter will see a page indicating this to them.
> >

> I have 1.6.4 installed, I believe.  That one does not have the link.  Is that
> correct?  I assume by current version you mean the one you are working on
> right now? :-)

The current one is 1.6.6. I just re-uploaded it. Apparently it somehow
got lost, or I merely _thought_ I uploaded it ...

> > Currently, one has to be logged in to the management interface to
> > manage/maintain a KBase/FAQ. One could add a user folder to the KBase,
> > and provide the maintainer the ability to log in and do just that.
> >

> Yeah.  I wonder if this sort of issue won't crop up repeatedly with Zope.  It
> takes, I would assume, a non-trivial amount of work on the developer's part to
> duplicate the needed subset of functionality that is already provided by the
> standard Zope management interface.  Thus it is alot easier for a developer to
> simply use the management interface.

Yup. Less work for basically the same functionality.
Laziness. One of the three virtues of a good programmer :-)

> Thanks for the help...

Any time.

--
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the
Wright brothers.  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." -- Carl